Yesterday was the official start of the Teaching Induction Fellowship and so the journey begins.
To inform the development of our national teaching induction program, it will be helpful if we could construct a snapshot of current teaching induction provision in the sector. To do this, I am in the process of developing a list of colleagues who teach/have developed a program for their institution.
I propose that through this post we discuss the questions that we might ask those colleagues in order to usefully describe their program and which would help inform the program that we will develop. Below are some questions to kick start this discussion.
What other questions would you like us to ask?
What changes to these questions would you suggest?
We are keen to have comments and suggestions from across the sector so even if you aren't a Fellowship partner, please do contribute to the discussion.
I look forward to ourquestions taking shape in the near future.
Snapshot of teaching induction in the Australian Higher Education sector in 2016
The questions below are specific to centrally taught teaching induction programs for higher education.
1) Mode of delivery - Online only, blended, f-t-f; workshops?
2 2) How long is your program?
3 3) How many participants enrolled in your program in the first half of 2016? How many completed it?
4) How many times a year is your program offered?
5) When is your program available? – all year, prior to teaching, during teaching etc
6) Is there a specific question that we want to ask about any flexibility in the program?
7) Who can enrol in your program – new staff, staff who aren’t new, sessional staff, research students, professional staff, contract academics, continuing academics, teaching only, colleagues at offshore locations?
8) compulsory or not and if so, for whom? If not, do you know what percentage of new teaching staff attended your program this year?
9) Is your program underpinned by a particular philosophy/pedagogy?
10) We could have a list of topics and ask the program coordinator to indicate which topics are covered and if they cover others not in the list – eg teaching online, how to lecture, how to teach a tutorial, test construction and lots of other topics.
1 11) Do you assess in any way?
1 12) Is it your perception that your participants usually find the program valuable and what do you perceive are the top three things that participants find valuable?
1 13) Is peer observation included in your program?
1 14) Does your program provide equivalent credit for a unit in a graduate certificate in higher education learning and teaching? Or partial credit to a unit?
15) Are there incentives or time release for staff to do this program?
16) Do people other than yourself teach into the program and if so, how many and what is their time commitment? What percentage of your time goes into teaching the program?
17) Are participants in your program also provided a mentor through the program?
18) In what ways do you evaluate the effectiveness/value of the teaching induction program?
19) How long has the program operated, and how long has this version operated?
20) How often is the program reviewed and how often do you do a major revision of the program.
21) What are the most challenging issues for you in teaching/providing this program?
22) What would you like to see in the teaching induction program that isn’t there or what change would you like to see to the program?
23) Is your program funded centrally from a specific budget or is it part of the remit of your central unit without specific funding tied to it? (any other questions about funding?)
24) Does any senior executive support the program by taking part in it?
25) How is the program advertised? – website, in employment packs distributed by HR to new staff, emails sent specifically to new staff?
26) Anything else that you would like to tell us about your program?
Do we need any demographic data – eg size of full time equivalent HE student cohort, (can be difficult for people to find out how many teaching staff exist), regional/metropolitan uni.?